20130719

MAD ABOUT TEA PARTY Colored Pencil Drawing Food Art


MAD ABOUT TEA PARTY

The pretty in pink Tea Pot tips her lid to the fantasy flower that winds through her Wonderland Tea Party while the tea cups swirl and dance about in colorful motion as the Dormouse peeks out from his tiny doorway. A happy tea bag begs you to "Drink Me" next to a magic mushroom with the invitation to "Eat Me".

MAD ABOUT TEA PARTY for me was all about the wild tea pots and cups at this particular "Unbirthday Party", they seemed to have a personality all their own.  When I drew my teapot I also drew a little on Mrs. Potts, the teapot in Beauty and the Beast and gave my teapot it's own way to tip it's lid by turning the handle into a hand (get it "hand-le/hand"?) The teacups were mini versions of my Cool Beans Coffee Cups Illustration with just a bit more mad color and attitude.


The original sketch I did (when I was inspired by Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland movie version) had the teapot handle behind the pot but I had to rotate it to fit into my vertical format:

 
I thought this was the perfect piece to add the "Eat Me" and "Drink Me" references to the magic potion Alice drinks in the book so added those next to a bag of tea and a magic mushroom. I also added a visual pun on the "Dormouse" behind the teapot for a little extra eye candy.
 
Then I decided I had to bring in some Wonderland flora and drew in the sunflower with it's vine as a border - yes, that's a teeny little ladybug on the petal:


BTW, here's the original black and white rendering of all these original sketches put together. I hope make it available as a poster and canvas prints soon:

THE ORIGINAL
is available for sale (shipping included!) at my Etsy Store!
where you can read more about the original piece and get the specifics.

is also available on

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE OTHER POSTED PIECES IN THIS "ALICE THROUGH THE COOKING CLASS" SERIES:
THE WorCHESHIRE CAT

“Mad Hatter: Would you like a little more tea?
Alice: Well, I haven't had any yet, so I can't very well take more.
March Hare: Ah, you mean you can't very well take less.
Mad Hatter: Yes. You can always take more than nothing.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

“Well that was the silliest tea party I ever went to! I am never going back there again!”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook