20130718

The WorCHESHIRE CAT Original Colored Pencil Illustration - Fun Food Art


The WorCHESHIRE CAT
A Saucy Little Feline Foodie!

A grinning, purple and pink cat pops out of a bottle of WorCheshire Cat Sauce while Alice stands atop a magic mushroom waving a skillet and spatula and the Caterpillar weaves atop another mushroom swinging a sauce pan, a salad bowl and a cooking whip, all against a backdrop of fun fungi.

What did the WorCheshire Cat say to Alice when she asked what to cook for dinner? "It doesn't matter what you cook if you don't know how to cook it." And what did the colorful & cagey cat tell Alice to use in her recipe? Why, WorCheshire Cat Sauce, of course!

Perfect for the cook or chef with a sense of humor and a savory addition to any kitchen. Also fun for a children's room.

This food themed adaptation of the Cheshire Cat presented one issue in illustrating and that was how to show his disappearing act in a clever way.  I finally decided that the sketch I had done (inspired by Tim Burton's version of Alice In Wonderland) below should be simply superimposed over the background of my illustration.  I took it one step further and made the interior of his mouth transparent as well.
 
While I was contemplating this technique I was mulling over how to turn the Cheshire Cat into a food related character when suddenly I thought of Worcestershire Sauce! Bingo, a little wordplay and he became the WorCHESHIRE Cat popping out of a bottle of sauce!  I giggled madly and proceeded with the sketch for the colored pencil drawing:


I had to surround him with a few of the magic mushrooms from Wonderland and I added Alice waving her pots & pans atop one of the mushrooms, then, just before I started the color rendering I decided the Caterpillar needed to make an appearance as well.

I have to say I LOVED drawing a magenta and lilac vanishing cat and had some serious fun with the colors on the magic mushrooms. This piece (and the series) is almost a culmination of everything I strive for in my art - colorful, humorous, creative design and a little bit of merry madness in the subject matter.

THE ORIGINAL
is available for sale (shipping included!) at my Etsy Store!
where you can read more about the original piece and get the specifics.

is also available on

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE OTHER POSTED PIECES IN THIS "ALICE THROUGH THE COOKING CLASS" SERIES:

“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to."
"I don't much care where –"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland