20130713

THE QUEEN OF TARTS Colored Pencil Art - A Foodie Twist on The Queen of Hearts

 All images on this post are © by PopArtDiva.Com. All Rights Reserved. No permission is given to share, distribute, copy, print or post.

THE QUEEN OF TARTS
#2 in my Alice Through The Cooking Class Series

Off with their stems! The deliriously dangerous Pink Queen wields a sharp chef's knife and a fork as she slices into a cherry tart she made herself in the castle kitchen. Alongside the queen are all the ingredients for a ton of tasty treats to take to the Happy Hour Tea Party and tempt her fellow foodie residents of the Wonderland Cooking Class.

As I said yesterday on my MAD PLATTER post, this series is my little foodie twist on "Alice Through The Looking Glass", a childhood favorite of mine. Continuing my edible ode to the creative madness that is Tim Burton, I have taken The Queen of Hearts and put a knife in one hand, a fork in the other and showered here in all the baking ingredients required for a tasty tart or two.

 The blue bowl is a little homage to my mother who had these two huge crockery mixing bowls that all sweet things in our house started out in.  I can remember my mother using the edge of that bowl to sharpen a knife as well as for mixing up goodies and it is such an iconic kitchen image to me that I had to include it.

As for my technique, I do a multi-layering effect with my Prismacolors to achieve the colors and the depth of saturation that I want.  It's a tedious process but one that gives colored pencils a "painterly" feel as opposed to having the look of a drawing.  I also use a ton of white pencils for blending the colors - I buy the white pencils by the dozens!

The Queen of Tarts started out as a sketch for the Queen of Hearts, ending up with a pastry twist for this "Alice Through the Cooking Class Series". Here's the original ink sketch I did - notice how I was playing around with different eyes and mouths on the right and then defined the crown I wanted for her:


When I started my Food Art series for The Diva of Tiny Foods Shop I morphed my Queen into the kitchen and shoved a tart tin in front of her, lol:


Here's a couple of images of the Queen of Tarts original colored pencil illustration in progress:


I start out with the lighter colors on my colored pencil drawings first and I work with a tissue under my hands so I won't smear work already laid down.  I also work with a completed sketch underneath my paper and use a light box to see the sketch instead of laying down a pencil sketch on my final piece.  That way if I change my mind or screw up I have wiggle room to make corrections without the original sketch lines damaging the piece.


This gives you an idea of scale. I have to say I had a great time with the whisk and the measuring cup, lol - and, of course, I adore my slightly menacing, tiny waisted, big bazoomed Queen!


PRINTS AVAILABLE:
QUEEN OF TARTS COLORED PENCIL DRAWING
is available for sale here. 
where you can read more about the original piece and get the specifics.


THE QUEEN OF TARTS Design
 is also available on
Prints, Gallery Wrapped Canvas, Clothing, Stationery, Decor & Gifts at
 

"I warn you dear child, if I lose my temper, you lose your head. Understand?" ~ Queen of Tarts, Alice in Wonderland