20090109

MORE ELVIS on Old School Fridays, The Year Was: 1964

Since this is the day after Elvis' Birthday and it's been Elvis Week here at The PopArtDiva Blog, what else could I post for OSF, The Year Was but Elvis singing VIVA LAS VEGAS! I freakin' love this song! Okay? Viva OSF, Viva Las Vegas and Viva Elvis!



Okay, I cheated a bit here because I graduated from High School in 1969, but I just had to get Viva Las Vegas in! But here's what's really cool - here's a video of Elvis from the year I actually did graduate high school (1969) talking about getting out of high school! This is from opening night at his record breaking 4 week engagement at the International Hotel in the summer of 1969.


For the rest of my Elvis Tribute this week, read:

ELVIS WEEK #1 - My first Elvis Song

ELVIS WEEK #2 - The Early Elvis

ELVIS WEEK #3 - 1968, The Comeback Special

ELVIS WEEK -Happy Birthday Wishes - Elvis has left the building

This meme was developed by Marvalus View and Ms. Grapevine

The rules are simple:
1. Anyone can participate; any music genre
2. Old School is defined as music created before 1999
3. No offensive words allowed, please use edited radio version
4. Post a video of your favorite Old School song to take us back down memory lane
5. Add your name to the meme list so that others can check you out
6. Have fun & don't forget to leave comments for other participants
If you want to join in on the fun, click here.
------------------------------------------------
Get my Retro Inspired Pop Culture Art on Cool Stuff like Cups, Tees, Cards, Aprons and more at the POP ART DIVA BOUTIQUE!

16 comments:

  1. Viva Los Vegas definitely makes you want to move something.. even if you can't dance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that I may have heard that song somewhere before??? You got me excited when you said 1969, a very good year! No one has gotten the notoriety that Elvis has. Did I hear this week that Graceland is the most visited private residence in the world?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fitting tribute for Elvis, especially since his birthday is this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shae - maybe that's why I like it, lol. Love to dance but probably not the best dancer out there!

    Revvy - I think the most private visited residence in the world is probably the White House - it is, after all the private residence of the President and is said to receive upwards of 5,000 visitors a day, but Graceland is certainly up in the top three along with the Biltmore Estate (said to be the largest private residence in the US).

    Pjazzy - Thanks, I did Elvis posts all week - had to do something for my fellow Capricorn, didn't I??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheating, huh! I think 1969 would have been a great year to be in high school. I would have graduated and went straight to Berkley.

    Music was also good, it was the beginning of something new... Rock N Roll. The 70's was full of great classic rock songs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MrsGrapevine - forgive me for the cheat - I did add five years to my age with it and not subtract though!

    The sixties were a good time - school or no school, the music was classic in almost every genre and tunes were cranked up on 8-tracks everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After watching the video I phoned my brother - this is his favorite Elvis song. He is a secret Elvis fan, but he doesn't want his frat brothers to know. He has all the moves memorized. Thanks for the memories (isn't that Bob Hope - lol).

    Enjoy your weekend, Diva.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and TV Land are on the same movement. Great Elvis choices!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hagar's Daughter - that is Bob Hope's theme song from the road show movies - as for Viva Las Vegas - it's not Elvis best by a long shot but, like I said, I love it.

    Kim - TVland and I are probably the same age - no, wait, I'm older, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome tribute! I was wondering why I was seeing so much Elvis stuff around this week. I graduated HS in 1969 also, a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! Why would you add five years?? I'm sure there was good music the year you graduated, but Elvis is a good choice anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Remember when CBS used to show those movies in the afternoon either right before or right after the news (can't remember which one)? They used to have Elvis week and I LOVED those movies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, you cheated! Nice choice anyway. :-)

    My first time seeing "Viva Las Vegas" was as a kid when one Channel 12 out of Flint did an "Elvis" week on its weekday movie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was ahead of my time... I love Elvis! My Mom did too and I have her old ticket stubs from the concert she went to in Las Vegas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Silverlight - wow, another '69er, lol!

    Regina - I know, how stupid of me but had to to post Viva Las Vegas!

    Marvalus - I do remember watching them on the tube - especially on Saturdays.

    Malcolm - lol, yeah I cheated to get Viva Las Vegas in for Elvis week! I sort of remember seeing Elvis on Ed Sullivan in the mid fifties, somewhere around 1956 or 1957, but I was only 5 or 6 at the time. What I really remember is my sister screaming Elvis, Elvis, Elvis at the television, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My site is also having Elvis week in honor of his birthday. We're featuring folks who collect all things Elvis and interviewed some of them. I figured maybe you'd be interested. http://nelliedurand.blogspot.com/2009/01/elvis-has-not-left-building.html

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments on my art and posts and welcome your honest opinions and thoughts! HOWEVER, please remember this is my "house" and I don't like impolite, mean or rowdy guests - spam and/or comments that include swear words, promote hate or are just negative to be negative will be immediately sent to the trash bin!

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...