20081208

Coke Teaches The World To Sing - RETRO COMMERCIALS MONDAY

Here is the original 1971 commercial from Coca Cola with the jingle "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing".

Known in the industry as the "hilltop" ad, the concept was the brainstorm of "mad man" Bill Backer of McCann-Erickson and was inspired by some fog at Heathrow, an overnight delay in Ireland, a group of irate passengers and a campaign slogan that became part of the lyrics.

One of the most popular and memorable commercials of all time, this 1971 advert featured the New Seekers for the sound track and teens between the ages of 14 and 19 lip-syncing on a hilltop in Italy. To this day many baby boomers can still sing you the entire lyrics of this iconic pop culture phenomenon.

The song was so popular that people called radio stations requesting it and it was eventually released as not one but two versions - minus the reference to Coke. Since the New Seekers were unavailable the first version was released by the Hillside Singers in a country western style. Later the New Seekers released their ad style version of the song. Below the video are the lyrics for both the original Jingle and the non-Coke version single. The single climbed to UK #1 and US #7 in 1971 and 1972.

The Coca-Cola Company waived royalties to the song, donating $80,000 in payments to UNICEF.



THE NON-COKE VERSION:


I'd like to build the world a home
and furnish it with love
grow apple trees and honey bees
and snow white turtle doves

I'd like to teach the world to sing
in perfect harmony
I'd like to hold it in my arms
and keep it company

I'd like to see the world for once
all standing hand in hand
and hear them echo through the hills
for peace throuout the land

thats the song I hear
Let the world sing today
a song of peace
that echoes on
and never goes away

I'd like to teach the world to sing
in perfect harmony

I'd like to teach the world to sing
in perfect harmony

I'd like to build the world a home
and funish it with love
grow apple trees and honey bees
and snow white turtle doves

I'd like to teach the world to sing
in perfect harmony
I'd like to hold it in my arms
and keep it company



THE COCA COLA JINGLE:

I'd like to buy the world a home and furnish it with love,

Grow apple trees and honey bees, and snow white turtle doves.

I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony,

I'd like to buy the world a Coke and keep it company.

[Repeat the last two lines, and in the background:]

It's the real thing, Coke is what the world wants today.

----------------------------

I
T'S NOT TOO LATE!
ORDER YOUR HOLIDAY GIFTS FROM THE POPARTDIVA BOUTIQUE!