20100108

TODAY IS ELVIS' 75th BIRTHDAY!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAY ELVIS
January 8th, 1935 - August 16th, 1977

Today would have been Elvis' 75th Birthday and I'm posting some links to last year's Elvis week posts and some fun Elvis Trivia to celebrate. If you are a huge Elvis fan you might enjoy reading these posts:


ELVIS TRIVIA
  • Elvis was a twin, his brother Jesse, died at birth. Elvis was the younger of the two boys, having been delivered 35 minutes after his late twin brother Jesse.
  • In 1956, Elvis released his first RCA single, had his first television appearance, and his first movie release.
  • Roy Orbison recorded a song that he dedicated to Elvis entitled "Hound Dog Man".
  • Elvis was 12 when he got his first guitar in 1946, which was a birthday present from his Mother. It cost $12.95 at the Tupelo Hardware Store.
  • Elvis liked to read. Two of his favorite books were The Holy Bible and The Impersonal Life.
  • The Cryolophosaurus(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryolophosaurus) - a large theropod dinosaur, with a bizarre crest on its head that looked like a Spanish comb - is nicknamed 'Elvisaurus' because it's head crest resembled the pompadour hairstyle of Elvis in the 1950s.
  • Elvis was nominated for a "Grammy for Best Soundtrack Album or Recording of Original Cast from a Motion Picture or Television" for G.I. Blues and Blue Hawaii in 1961 and 1962.
  • Elvis wasn't always a singer - he worked in his high school library when he was a sophomore. He worked at the Precision Tool Company in Memphis. He also worked as an usher, and as a truck-driver. o Elvis once wrote a letter to then President Richard Nixon, asked to become an undercover narcotics agent. President Nixon responded by providing Elvis with a special agent badge for the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs.
  • The FBI has well over 600 pages of files on Elvis.
  • Elvis is one of only few artists, include Johnny Cash and Hank Williams, inducted into both The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame and The Country Music Hall of Fame.
  • Elvis gave a robe to Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay) embroidered with the phrase "The Peoples Champion."
  • Elvis was offered the role of John Norman Howard in A Star Is Born by Barbra Streisand. Regrettably he did not get to take the role, purportedly because of Colonel Tom Parker.
  • Elvis' favorite actors were Marlon Brando and James Dean.
  • The book Elvis was reading at the time of his death was The Scientific Search for the Face of Jesus by Frank O. Adams.
  • When Elvis was in high school he was cut from the football team by the coach because he wouldn't trim his sideburns and ducktail.
  • Elvis received 3 Grammy Awards for his Gospel music.
  • Elvis received his first Black Belt in Karate in March of 1960.
  • On May 29th, 1967, Elvis and Priscilla had a second wedding reception at Graceland for those family and friends who could not attend their Las Vegas wedding.
  • Elvis last Top 20 hit was "Burning Love" which went to #2 on the charts.

HAPPY 75th BIRTHDAY ELVIS!

-------------------

Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook

One Click Shopping at The PopArtDiva Gift Gallery:

10 comments:

  1. Happy birthday ELVIS the King of Rock 'n' Roll . Do you think his twin brother Jesse would have been as talented as Elvis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Portrait - I suspect he would have had talent but who knows what might have been, huh?

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember exactly where I was when I learned that Elvis had died. I was driving across the Bay Bridge into San Francisco to meet my husband and heard it over the radio. I was so shocked, I almost veered into the lane next to me. His was one of the very first unexpected deaths that gave me pause.
    And now Joe Biden's mother has passed away, too. That death, however, was not totally unexpected. The surprising part to me is that she was born in 1917--the same year as President Kennedy. Had he lived, he'd have been 92 as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen - yes, when one of our folk heroes dies young we are always shocked when we realize how old they "would have been".

    There is something to that old saying about dying young - people do tend to remember you that way because they don't see you age.

    Thanks for stopping by again - you are one of my most faithful commenters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I now have to envy Elvis for having his own namesake dinosaur! I had forgotten he was a twin, which could breed all kinds of fictional scenarios, were there two "Elvi." I'm not sure I want to write it, but "The Other Elvis" might explore a separated-at-birth scenario where Jesse was raised in another family and/or culture. Parallel chapters could explore highlights of both lives. Food for reverie ...

    How ironic that Elvis once wanted to be a NARC, considering his issues with Rx drugs later in his life. Elvis gave us so much, his life's blood, and his sensitive nature in light of constant exposure and demands surely helped lead to his early demise. Like Michael Jackson, there's a part of me that doesn't want to imagine either one of them looking old or being unable to do what they loved. I want to remember them both in their prime. Happy Birthday, Elvis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce - I know, how cool to have a dinosaur named after you, lol.

    I think there's one already named after me - the Terri-osaurus-Rex, lol.

    Yes, it is hard to imagine Elvis, Marilyn and even JFK old, isn't it?

    Thanks to you for your comments and your faithful reading of my thoughts, like Eileen you are one of my faithful readers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked the Elvisaurus story, I had never heard that until now. I had forgotten about Elvis not making the football team because of his hair and sideburns.

    By the way, do you know what chart source the last fact is based on? I ask because Elvis had a few more top 20 hits on the Billboard Pop Singles chart after "Burning Love".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Malcolm - it's been 2 years since I researched that Elvis trivia - I don't remember where I got that fact from now, lol. If you know what the other hits were - let me know and I'll fix it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pop Art Diva: Elvis' last top 20 hit during his lifetime was "Way Down", which hit #18 in 1977.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Malcolm - thanks for taking the time to check and get back to me on that "last top 20 hit" - maybe I should have said his "last top 10 hit", lol.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments on my art and posts and welcome your honest opinions and thoughts! HOWEVER, please remember this is my "house" and I don't like impolite, mean or rowdy guests - spam and/or comments that include swear words, promote hate or are just negative to be negative will be immediately sent to the trash bin!

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...