20080825

RETRO COMMERCIALS MONDAY - The Polaroid Swinger Camera

ANSWERS TO LAST THURSDAYS THIRTEEN QUIZ POSTED TOMORROW!!!!

Sadly, earlier this year Polaroid announced it would discontinue making instant film, following discontinuation of the instant cameras last year.

It is the end of a photographic era that began in 1948 when Polaroid introduced the first instant photo cameras. It was quite a miracle in the early sixties - I got a Swinger for my 16th birthday and it made my slumber/birthday party a rousing success! The goofy photos a bunch of giggling little teenage girls can think up is a monument to coming of age in America. All for under $20!

I still have those photographs today and they continue to bring a smile to my lips after forty years.

Some years later I got a leather covered SX-70 and continued to mark my life in instant images and photographic memories.

Yes, with digital cameras this seems like atavistic technology but in the days of my youth it was the hottest thing and the fun these cameras and film generated remains a tribute to Polaroid and it's products. Goodbye to a product that was a part of my youth:



VISIT POPARTDIVA.COM - Retro Inspired Contemporary Pop Culture Art for Sale
Get my Retro Inspired Pop Culture Art on Cool Stuff like Cups, Tees, Cards, Aprons and more at the POP ART DIVA BOUTIQUE!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, no! That's a sad one. I remember how much fun those polaroid photos were. And, yes, they made slumber parties great. You got an instant memory of your best friend, on the phone, asking some poor anonymous woman if her refrigerator was running. It didn't get much better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to comment on this earlier as well. I had one of those Swingers and the the instant camera that came after the Swinger, which was gray in color. It might have been a Swinger II or something to that effect. I guess there is really no need for these types of camera in the digital age. As Erykah Badu says, "I'm an analog girl in a digital world". Thanks for sharing this info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pjazzy - Yes, those Polaroids were the high tech of the day! It was amazing to have a picture instantly - and you were also saved the trip to the drugstore or photo lab, plus you could take pictures that labs might not develop (like a "moon" shot, lol).

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments on my art and posts and welcome your honest opinions and thoughts! HOWEVER, please remember this is my "house" and I don't like impolite, mean or rowdy guests - spam and/or comments that include swear words, promote hate or are just negative to be negative will be immediately sent to the trash bin!

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...