20080229

I DON'T KNOW NUTHIN' BOUT POSTING NO BLOGS, MIZ SCAHLET!


***********************
This Day in History:

Birthdays: Dinah Shore, Jimmy Dorsey

In 46 B. C. the first "leap day" was added to the Roman calendar by Julius Caesar

1972 - Hank Aaron becomes the highest paid player in Major League Baseball after signing a $200k deal with the Atlanta Braves.

1940 - Hattie McDaniel becomes the first African-American to win the Oscar (Gone With The Wind, 1936)
***********************

Gone With The Wind (GWTW) is one of those movies I watch every year. I read the book every couple of years. I don't know why it never gets old - maybe because the characters are so powerful and the setting so dramatic.

The movie was over 20 years old the first time I saw it on television. I fell madly in love with Rhett, thought Scarlett was a damn fool and decided Ashley was a coward. I haven't changed my mind in over forty years or through multiple viewings of the movie and readings of the book.

I have, however, developed a sneaking admiration for Scarlett as I have aged. No matter what, Scarlett went after what she wanted. That green dress made from her Mother's drapes - how many of us could look that good in a pair of curtains??

Many times I have used her famous phrase "I can't think about that now, I'll think about it tomorrow" to get me through a difficult time. "Fiddle dee dee" is a wonderful and quaint form of verbally stamping your foot and "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" can be used in myriad formats!

There's just something about that rapscallion, Rhett, and the scandalous Scarlett that still speaks to the strumpet in my soul. Hmmm, I feel another GWTW marathon coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my art and posts and welcome your honest opinions and thoughts! HOWEVER, please remember this is my "house" and I don't like impolite, mean or rowdy guests - spam and/or comments that include swear words, promote hate or are just negative to be negative will be immediately sent to the trash bin!

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...