20090415

JACKIE ROBINSON BECOMES FIRST AFRICAN AMERICAN IN THE BIG LEAGUES

I'm a huge baseball fan and have been since I fell madly in love with Mickey Mantle as a kid. I'm a big Yankee fan too, as many of you know - I even did the pop art tribute below for him!

But today I'd like to take a moment to mention a Brooklyn Dodger - hey, you Yankee fans quit that booing - this is one great Dodger, okay?

This particular Dodger is Jackie Robinson and today is the sixty-second anniversary of the day Robinson walked onto Ebbets Field in Brooklyn to play for the Brooklyn Dodgers as the first African-American ever to play in the big leagues.

Fifty years later the his number - 42 - was retired from major league baseball.


Read more about Jackie Robinson at The History Channel


From PopArtDiva.com

------------
LOOKING FOR THE SATURDAY SOAPBOX? Check the latest Saturday Posting!

Unless otherwise noted, all images and art on this site are © PopArtDiva.com 2002 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.

Get my Retro Inspired Pop Culture Art on Cool Stuff like Cups, Tees, Cards, Aprons and more at the POP ART DIVA BOUTIQUE!