20081217

13 Things I Wanted For Christmas When I Was A Kid - Thursday Thirteen

When I was a kid there were a lot of toys out there that I really wanted and never got. Now, don't get me wrong, I had great Christmases and got lots of wonderful presents. But these were ones that I remember wanting almost fifty years later:
  1. CHATTY CATHY- I got a Tiny Tears. Tiny Tears drank a bottle and then peed. That was it. Chatty Cathy talked! Hey, I wanted conversation - not diaper duty!
  2. A CHILD SIZED PLAY KITCHEN - I was a foodie at a very young age. I had dreams of imaginary gourmet food and elegant pint sized dining. Since I didn't get my mini-kitchen I set up a play bar in our basement. I sold Kool-Aid cocktails in my little tin beverage set on my make-shift bar made of table leafs and milk carton boxes. Belly up to the Table Leafs and have a drink!
  3. ROCK 'EM SOCK 'EM ROBOTS - My mother evidently figured little girls didn't want this kind of toy. This meant it was also difficult for me to get the next two toys . . . .
  4. A BASEBALL GLOVE AND REAL BASEBALL - I was a tomboy, I loved Mickey Mantle and I wanted to play ball!
  5. A CAP GUN - which I really wanted because Butthead had one and I needed to defend myself. Plus I loved loud toys.
  6. THE BARBIE DREAM HOUSE - I got the Barbie Car - the peach and turquoise sports car - and I needed a doll house with garage so I could park it inside! BTW, does anyone remember the make of this fifties Barbie car? I'm thinking it was a Corvette but I'm not sure.
  7. A YO-YO - You know I didn't get a yo-yo until I was an adult!!?? I got inspired by Tommy Smother's Yo-Yo Man routines. I loved the Smo-Bros.
  8. A WADING POOL - I had a fondness for water and getting wet. I wasn't greedy, it could have been a baby wading pool! I ended up on a swim team in later years. I was just desperate to get soaked I guess.
  9. A RADIO FLYER WAGON - Again, I guess little girls weren't supposed to want wagons, sigh.
  10. A RAY GUN - I needed it! I was convinced aliens were going to invade my backyard and disintegrate my swing set. I was gonna blast me some little green buggers to smithereens!
  11. A TOY VANITY SET - I wasn't such a tomboy that I didn't want to be pretty. I got a toy typewriter instead which, as it turns out, was a much better toy for encouraging little girls to become something other than a housewife or arm candy. Kudos to you Mom and Dad!
  12. MY VERY OWN FAIRY - Okay, not technically a toy but that didn't stop me from asking Santa and my folks for it for years. Shut up, I had an imagination! Who among you didn't want something that didn't exist at least once as a kid?
  13. A PEDDLE CAR - I so badly wanted one of those little cars that you sat down in and cruised down the street via peddle power! Honest to God, I still want one! Now they've got motorized HummVees and pink dune buggies but I'm into the classics, give me a little blue or red coupe without all the bells and whistles.
TODAY IS THE BIRTHDAY OF MY BELOVED LITTLE SHADOW, my wonderful little Cockapoo who went to the Rainbow Bridge in 1999 - Happy Birthday, my little fuzzbutt. I still miss you every day!
--------------------------
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

--------------------------

Get my Retro Inspired Pop Culture Art on Cool Stuff like Cups, Tees, Cards, Aprons and more at the POP ART DIVA BOUTIQUE!