20071208

CHRISTMAS, Just Another Way to Sell Stuff

When I was growing up Christmas was about the turkey dinner, the parades and later the sounds of football games on television, laughter, fun, toys and my family.

Forgive me if I get a little Grinchy and want to smack all the little Whos in Whoville, but I am so sick of all the holiday themed ads, commercials, tv shows and other corporate American schtick that passes for holiday cheer but is really just a badly disguised quest for merchandising.

It makes me want to either:
  1. Take a cruise to somewhere that has beaches, palm trees and cabana boys
  2. Close all the windows, lock all the doors and hide under the covers until Jan. 2nd
  3. Revert back to the past and live in a log cabin, cut down my own tree, decorate it with popcorn and cranberries, make my own gifts out of logs and Ma's Ingalls' old drapes, then hand a mug of hot cocoa to Pa Ingalls
  4. Convert to some cult religion that forbids red and green, holly, and jingle bells
Okay, I feel better now and I'm ready for a Nogatini!