20090310

A PopArtDiva HOOTENANNY! A Folk Music Festival Blog Post

Today I'm having a Hootenanny!
Yes, it's also my Thursday Thirteen early, ok? I'm lazy this week and killing two blogs with one post!

So sit back, grab your mug of black coffee, don your black beret and get ready to snap your fingers, Daddi-O 'cause here's thirteen of my favorite folk singers. It's a fun festival for you fifties folkie fans and hipster hippie beats.

I fell in love with folk music fairly young. When I was about ten my brand new brother-in-law, Larry, gave me my first guitar and a songbook of Kingston Trio tunes. It was my first real exposure to the folk music that was part of an emerging lifestyle that crossed over from hipster beatniks to hippie peaceniks.

Strumming my first guitar I had a momentary hope of being the next Joan Baez or maybe the fourth member of Peter, Paul and Mary. In the end I was more talented with crayons than a tune and my dreams of becoming a folk singer only ended up giving me calloused fingertips, but those dreams also fostered a love of real folk music that stays with me to this day.

The classic folk singers were Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger and many of the Irish groups like The Clancy Brothers and The Chieftans. The next wave would be groups like The Kingston Trio, The Limeliters, The Smothers Brothers, Joan Baez and Peter, Paul and Mary, followed closely by the likes of Bob Dylan, Donovan and Paul Simon.

Soon after folk music and rock blended together for a new sound called folk rock performed by groups like The Byrds, Simon and Garfunkel and The Mamas and the Papas. But no matter what era the music, the melody is still magic and the stories still memorable.



























Cool, man, if it ain't beat it's dullsville! Here's a little trivia before you leave the PopArtDiva Beat Cafe today to go buy a set of bongos - the term "beatnik" was coined by none other than columnist Herb Caen of the San Francisco Chronicle when he was referring to the Beat Generation as a somewhat derisive spin on the name of the Russian satellite Sputnik.
------------
LOOKING FOR THE SATURDAY SOAPBOX? Check the latest Saturday Posting!

Unless otherwise noted, all images and art on this site are © PopArtDiva.com 2002 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.

Get my Retro Inspired Pop Culture Art on Cool Stuff like Cups, Tees, Cards, Aprons and more at the POP ART DIVA BOUTIQUE!

22 comments:

  1. I love the sound of Peter, Pop Art, Paul, and Mary. I, too, adored these folks songs and had some obscure favorites, especially from my Kingston Trio albums and big book of piano music. Remember "With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm" about King Henry beheading Ann Boleyn? (I know, I have a warped mind.) Another one I can't get out of my head is "Take Her Out of Pity." I occasionally fell in love with the flip side of 45s, like Del Shannon's "Hats Off to Larry" (flip to "Runaway"). Don't suppose there'd be many clips available for my B Hootenanny, like a B movie! Thanks for a this sweet earful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce - I so wanted to post that one about King Henry and Anne Boleyn but Blip didn't have it available.

    Many times the B side of a 45 ended up being the hit instead of the A side that was promoted as the hit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if you would have Alice's Restaurant Massacre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice - Hell yeah! You think I'll pass up any opportunity to post Alice's Restaurant?? Hell No! LOL. But seriously it is a folk song albeit a very long one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey!!!! Check out my blog title AND my name. Great choice for this week if you want my opinion....your 13, that is.

    My thirteen is now posted...come join me? Happy Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooti'Anni - I knew you'd get a kick out of this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I've got Puff the Magic Dragon playing in my head LOL Thanks for that! Fun list. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've been added to the blog roll for Bloggers Over 50! Welcome.

    And hope as you peruse the other bloggers 'our age' you'll find some lasting friendships...and have fun meeting others!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adelle - you got off easy! I've been humming Alice's Restaurant Massacree!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bloggers Over 50 - Thanks, looking forward to meeting others like me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All songs from my childhood! My parents listened to all the same songs you did!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Becky68 - Ouch, that hurt! Do your parents blog?? LOL.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My dad used to sing somem of those to us!! This Land is Your Land especially! I jammed along with it!! I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Smothers Brothers! wow, that's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haven't heard of all of them, but judging by the ones I have heard, a great selection. Also. never realised where beatnik came from, so thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I haven't heard Alice's restaurant for centuries!! What a treat!

    I'm not sure I'd call California Dreaming a folk song, because I don't like folk music really, but I enjoy that tune a lot. So thanks for that one too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jen - I remember singing it in the school chorus/choir ages ago. Most people now probably remember Bruce Springsteen doing it, but Woody Guthrie wrote the lyrics. The melody was originally a hymn called "Oh, My Loving Brother" - I'd sure like to hear the original hymn somewhere just for curiosities sake. Woody wrote this in response to Irving Berlin's "God Bless America".

    Janet - I'm a big SmoBros fan - and they are folk singers though most people think of them as stand up comediens they got their start at places like the Purple Onion in San Francisco. BTW, last year - 2008 - marked their 50th year performing together and they are now the longest running comedy team in history.

    Nicholas - No, California Dreaming is a folk rock song as I mentioned above. Folk rock was a blend of folk music and soft rock that grew out of the folk music genre.

    Thanks to all of you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you know that Woodie Guthrie also wrote a bunch of Jewish-theme songs as part of his rivalry with Irving Berlin? There's a klezmer band in New York that covered them, I think the CD is called Woodie Guthrie's Happy Joyous Hannukah.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tobias - I did not know that though I knew Guthrie wrote This Land because he disliked Berlin's God Bless America.

    Thanks for adding some more great info!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved Dylan then, love Dylan now!

    THanks for a another fun post!

    Diana a woman with a new leash on life!
    http://woofersclub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Diana - yes, I love Dylan too. Many people disliked his voice but it never bothered me a bit as I always thought it fit the genre.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Ruth

    http://pianonotes.info

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments on my art and posts and welcome your honest opinions and thoughts! HOWEVER, please remember this is my "house" and I don't like impolite, mean or rowdy guests - spam and/or comments that include swear words, promote hate or are just negative to be negative will be immediately sent to the trash bin!

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...