20081107

OLD SCHOOL FRIDAYS - A Brand New Day and a Rock and Roll Goodbye

Today's Old School Friday Theme is A Brand New Day and relates to the election of our first African American President.

These are historic times, these are emotional times and as I watched the faces on the crowd as President Elect Barack Obama spoke after being told he would be the 44th President of our country I was very sharply reminded of another time in my life when a newly elected President brought that kind of hope and that kind of emotion to our nation, the election of John Fitzgerald Kennedy. For only the second time in my life as a voter I feel that kind of hope again.

Since my blog is a baby boomer's trip down memory lane, today I would like to post a link to a video of that other moment of great hope and faith in our country. John F. Kennedy Elected November 1960

I am also going to take this opportunity to post a video in honor of my late friend, Betty Turner, who left my life this week for her very own rock stage in the sky. Below is the 1976 version of Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac and the inimitable Stevie Nicks. Fleetwood Mac was Betty's favorite band and whenever I hear this song I think of her and our days of Fleetwood Mac concerts, trolling, and rocking out in the seventies. My Memorial to Betty is here, please read it and learn about a unique woman and a unique friendship of over 35 years. May You Rock On Forever Betty!


----------------------------------
This meme was developed by Marvalus View and Ms. Grapevine. If you want to join in on the fun, click here.

Get my Retro Inspired Pop Culture Art on Cool Stuff like Cups, Tees, Cards, Aprons and more at the POP ART DIVA BOUTIQUE!

16 comments:

  1. Betty and I would've gotten along on the dance floor because I LOVE Fleetwood Mac also. I have their greatest hits CD which I play quite often when I'm exercising or traveling long distances. My husband likes them as well.

    Betty, we'll meet you at that Fleetwood Mac concert in the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a bittersweet roller coaster for many of us. It's a wonderful leap for America as a country, but for some people, it has opened up many old wounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww sorry to hear about Betty. She sure is lucky to have a friend like you! Rock On! To friendships that last more than a life time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did my comment post? I forgot to check!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear of your loss...may Betty enjoy her rock concert in the sky forever!

    Fleetwood Mac...one of the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Fleetwood Mac, love Stevie Nicks and love this song! When I was little, I used to mumble a lot of the words because I didn't know them, but I rocked along anyhow. May your friend rest in peace, she will always be right there rocking along with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice choice! Fleetwood Mac brings back many memories of my youth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Connoisseur - Thanks for stopping by and helping me honor my friend - if I know Betty she is not only Rockin' out she's stirring the heavens up just like she did on the Earthly plane!

    Regina - Fleetwood Mac was pretty much the soundtrack of the seventies for Betty and I, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We saw Fleetwood Mac in concert in '04 and literally bought the t-shirts! Whenever Tim or I are out 'n' about in our shirts, people always comment about how much they love the band. It was surprising to see how many young kids were there, adoring them and rockin' out with their boomer parents and grandparents! It was a multi-generational great time.

    There are so many parallels between Barack Obama and JFK, the biggest one being the unity and hope they both have inspired. I believe something wonderful is about to happen--that we are going to see the silver linings in the strife our nation has experienced and is still experiencing. There is a larger plan to which we are not privvy, but I believe I am beginning to see it unfold. Taking the financial downspiral as just one example, we have been addicted to consumerism and much of big business and the banks have been greedy. As with any addiction, we've had to "bottom out" to start climbing up to a better place.

    We may not be there yet, but I believe in Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech and Barack Obama's message of hope and positive change.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyce - yes, watching our President Elect speak brought me some of the same feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear of your loss. But I'm sure Betty is still rocking!

    It is exciting to see so many people hopeful about the future of this country for the first time in a long time. My daughter voted for the first time since she was old enough because she finally felt like there was a reason and that it wasn't going to be just more of the same old politics. It is definitely going to be an interesting 4 years!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melodieann - or eight years. . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like you I am very excited about our new president and think he has the same "it" factor of our beloved JFK. He also reminds me a litte of Teddy Roosevelt, who was a little before me time. Thanks for sharing that clip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Betty. 35 years + is a long time.

    Now that was quite a powerful version of Rhiannon! Although it was normally past my bedtime, I occas. got to stay up to watch "The Midnight Special".

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karen - Teddy Roosevelt?????

    ReplyDelete
  16. Malcolm - Thanks for your kind words on the loss of my friend, Betty.

    Yes, it was, but the song itself is powerful - it's my favorite Fleetwood Mac song bar none.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments on my art and posts and welcome your honest opinions and thoughts! HOWEVER, please remember this is my "house" and I don't like impolite, mean or rowdy guests - spam and/or comments that include swear words, promote hate or are just negative to be negative will be immediately sent to the trash bin!

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...