20080718

A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME - Now, don't name your kid Moon Crater!

Some people would say that a name is simply a label, we give people names so we're not yelling "hey you" at everyone and we call things names so we can more easily ask someone to get us stuff and not have to get off the couch.

There are those who would say that a name carries no meaning, but go tell that to someone who's name is Dick, Gaylord, Pansy, Cherry, Peter, Herman or Henrietta.

Actually all names have a meaning, they are derivations of root words from cultures and history. Some have wonderful meanings, some not so much. But whatever the name - if it's not currently popular that name can cause a child great anguish - and sometimes carry that anguish into adulthood.

In my day really cool names for girls were Pam, Christine/Christina (Tina!), Amber or Candy. I got stuck with Theresa, nicknamed Terri (the fairy) and on top of that my last name was Dennis (the Menace).

I hated my name, even changed it to Stacey (short for Anastasia, my maternal grandmother's name) for a short time in eight grade. That never stuck and so I was stuck with Terri. Both my names are masculine sounding and I still get mail addressed to Mr. Terry Dennis - mail that immediately goes into the trash. Hey! If you can't even figure out I'm female you got nothing I want to read in that envelope! I often wonder if my name was at the root of my tomboy behavior.

I wonder how many of us have been given a moniker that we can't stand or that we have suffered over for decades?

So, before you name your fresh faced little baby Cosmo or Myrtle, stop and think about just how that name will affect their lives. Don't forget to put both the names together! Do you really want to name your child Rose Bush or Rocky Cave???

Most popular boy/girl baby names in 1950 according to the U.S. Social Security Administration:

1. James / Linda
2. Robert / Mary
3. John / Patricia
4. Michael / Barbara
5. David / Susan
6. William / Nancy
7. Richard / Deborah
8. Thomas / Sandra
9. Charles / Carol
10. Gary / Kathleen

Now, here's their list from 2007:

1. Jacob / Emily
2. Michael / Isabella
3. Ethan / Emma
4. Joshua / Ava
5. Daniel / Madison
6. Christopher / Sophia
7. Anthony / Olivia
8. William / Abigail
9. Matthew / Hannah
10. Andrew / Elizabeth

Now, you know why I have branded myself as PopArtDiva. . . . .

Get my Retro Inspired Pop Culture Art on Cool Stuff like Cups, Tees, Cards, Aprons and more at the POP ART DIVA BOUTIQUE!