20140918

PACIFIC BLUE ICE HENS & CHICKS SUCCULENT ART

https://www.etsy.com/listing/202923424/succulent-hens-chicks-original-colored?ref=shop_home_active_8

COLORED PENCIL DRAWING
of a
Sempervivum, Pacific Blue Ice
HENS & CHICKS SUCCULENT

When I moved back to Arizona I had little luck growing the usual flowers that I love, the heat is simply too intense for most of them to survive. Instead of my wonderful Irises, Lillies and Roses, I was surrounded by flora that was mean! Cacti with stickers and thorns that could really bite back and odd little, juicy looking things called succulents! I was not happy until, all of a sudden after a huge monsoon rain, all these GORGEOUS flowers started popping up all over my yard!

It was then I took a closer look at the truly unique and beautiful things growing around me.  I watched as the cacti gave forth flowers, even fruit in some cases. I was amazed as the succulents grew into a rainbow of colors and cool alien shapes and forms.  I was hooked and started collecting them to grow myself.  I now have a collection that is taking over my decks and overflowing into my yard and putting out pups (little baby plants from the mother) like a rabbit in heat.

I itched to get some of this surprising color and life into some art and this is my first drawing.  I started with an easy one, a Hen & Chick succulent that was one of the first I bought.  The range of colors in succulents is amazing and I wanted to capture that in the subtle way these plants do.

The Original Drawing is $65.00 Shipping Included.
It is a 7-1/2" x 7-3/4" image drawn on an 8-1/2" x 11" Strathmore Art Paper done entirely in Prismacolor Colored Pencils.

Prints are available in an 8-1/2" x 11" format on heavy weight, high gloss photo paper done in Archival inks.

You can find both (as well as other plant images) in my Flowers, Cacti & Succulents Section of my Etsy Store.

Next up on my floral drawing agenda is the GORGEOUS Prickly Pear Cactus in bloom!


Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook