20100303

Hooray for Hollywood - Some Retro Oscar Fun


This Sunday is the 82nd Annual Academy Awards and, as usual, I am looking forward to the ceremonies. Every year I have a little Oscar Party with a few other fans, serve up my Oscar Martinis and my Oscar Snacks and sit down in front of the old Boob Tube to enjoy a night of vicarious glitz and glamour.

I've been watching the Oscars for decades and have seen some absolutely great television moments during the ceremonies. Some of these still come to mind as I get ready to prepare for this year's festivities and I'd like to share some of them with you - I'm sure many of you remember some of these great Oscar moments starting with my all time favorite:

David Niven and The Streaker

Jack Palance and the One Armed Push Up Acceptance Speech

Billy Crystal's Parody Number on Prince of Tides

Cuba Gooding's Totally Over the Energetic Top Acceptance Speech

Steven Spielberg Finally Getting an Oscar (Schindler's List)

Steven Martin Hosts in 2001

Hugh Jackman's Opening Number in 2009

Here's some interesting Oscar Facts & Trivia for you:

  • The official name of the golden statue is the Academy Award of Merit. Bette Davis makes the claim that she named the statuette after her first husband, bandleader Harmon Oscar Nelson.
  • You cannot buy an Oscar. The winners or their heirs may not sell the statuettes without first offering to sell them back to the Academy for $1. If the winner does not agree to this stipulation the Academy keeps their statuette. Prior to 1950 this stipulation was not in place and Oscars fetched as high as six figures.
  • In 1981, the Academy Awards were delayed for one day, due to the shooting of President Ronald Reagan.
  • The first televised Academy Awards show was the 25th annual, held on March 19, 1953.
  • More Academy Award Trivia from Oscars.org
Classic Acceptance Lines:
  • Thank you very much. That makes up for the strip-search. - Woody Allen
  • Oh, wow. This is the best drink of water after the longest drought of my life - Steven Spielberg
  • Most of all, I want to thank my father, up there, the man who when I said I wanted to be an actor, he said, 'Wonderful, just have a back-up profession like welding - Robin Williams
  • I can't deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me! - Sally Field
  • I guess this proves there are as many nuts in the Academy as anywhere else - Jack Nicholson
  • This is one night I wish I smoked and drank - Grace Kelly
And, of course, the Classic Non-Acceptance Line of All Time:
  • "Marlon Brando very regretfully cannot accept this very generous award. And the reason for this being is the treatment of American Indians today by the film industry - Sacheen Littlefeather refusing the Best Actor Award for Marlon Brando in 1972
-------------------

Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook

11 comments:

  1. I'm hoping Jeff Bridges wins for Best Actor and Kathryn Bigelow takes home the Oscar for Best Director. As you probably know, she would be the first woman to win the Best Director Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malcolm - It would be wonderful for a woman to win a Best Director Oscar finally, I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post has me sizzling with anticipation! Thanks for the memories, too. I had no idea that Oscars could not be sold, so I'll give up my goal to find one on eBay, LOL! Great compilation!

    Since I haven't seen every movie, it's hard to have an educated opinion, but Avatar was amazing. The one performance I think cannot be topped for Best Supporting Actor is Christoph Waltz as the creepy Nazi in "Inglourious Basterds." He was power abuse personified and still funny at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce - I didn't see every nominee myself so it is hard to make a truly informed opinion but I'm not on the committee so I get to vote for my favorites for whatever reason I like, lol.

    I think this year I'll get a few little gifts and create a party game around betting on the winner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried as many others to find an Oscar on the internet. Your post has ended my quest. Thank you. Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. pop art - I think you can buy miniature Oscars online - at least you could have a small one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the oscars and can't wait for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As usual, you've amazed me with your command of trivia and fascinating tidbits of oscars past. You are a true diva in so many areas but retro diva has got to be one of your top slots.

    I have to admit, I don't always watch to the finish because I know I'll catch the winners on the news the next day. But, whatever I do see, is usually a great look at the glitz and glam of LaLa Land. I'll be watching this time, however, because I LOVE both the hosts! Thanks for starting the party rolling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eileen - For me the host is the most important part of the entertainment of the Oscars, if the host rocks the show rocks and I love both Martin and Baldwin. I'm looking forward to seeing them play off each other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What are the prices for your arts?

    ReplyDelete
  11. pop art - my prices range from just a few dollars (for stickers, keychains, magnets) up (for posters, tee shirts, cups, aprons, etc) depending on what you buy.

    You can also order most of my art as a fine art giclee on canvass.

    Check out all my products and designs at The PopArtDiva™ Gift Gallery

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments on my art and posts and welcome your honest opinions and thoughts! HOWEVER, please remember this is my "house" and I don't like impolite, mean or rowdy guests - spam and/or comments that include swear words, promote hate or are just negative to be negative will be immediately sent to the trash bin!

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...