20090918

Jim Morrison's Infamous Indecent Exposure Arrest - Criminal Records


This week's Old School Friday theme is Criminal Records - I had to think about that for a moment. Nowadays you have to get arrested or you can't sell a CD, let alone tickets to C-note concerts, so coming up with a band or song is a cinch. Of course, I'm Ms. Retro so I was cruisin' through the sixties in my mind for a song or singer with a "criminal record". I'm not even sure this is exactly what the theme means but that's my take on it, lol.

In my day our rock stars were getting arrested too, most of the time for drug convictions - it was the sixties after all - but it was still shocking to a generation slowly creeping out of the uptight fifties. I remember just about every top band or singer being pinched for some substance abuse violation including but not limited to The Stones, The Beatles . . . oh jeez, why bother? Just figure any rock band from the sixties spent some time in the slammer, lol.

When I saw this theme though the very first thought that came to mind was Jim Morrison's (The Doors) arrest for indecent exposure in 1969 in Coconut Grove, Florida. This was sort of the start of a great number of historical and infamous incidents that happened in 1969 - don't forget that was the same year we landed on the moon and invaded a small upstate NY town for a little party called Woodstock - and I remember the incident quite clearly.

I remember being a little shocked - even though by that time I'd been to a couple of his concerts and knew he was what my Mom would have called "wild". OMG, she had no idea, lol. Also keep in mind that Morrison's nicknames were Mr. Mojo Rising and The Lizard King. Still, I was only 5 years out of Kansas and some of the hayseed was still stuck in my hair. For young girls like me part of Morrison's charm - actually a very large part - was his bad boy behavior. The tight black leather jeans and the "poetic soul" didn't hurt either. What is it about those bad boys?

I'm posting my very favorite of The Doors - Light My Fire. It's my favorite because it had a long version and that long version was a perfect length for cruising to and by all our favorite hang outs with the radio blasting. Yup, nothing like a coke and an order of fries from The Freeze while Jim blasts out of the speakers "Come on baby, Light My Fire" Sure Jim, be happy to.



More on Morrison's indecent exposure arrest and episode

POST SCRIPT! Saturday, September 19th, 2009
Thanks to a comment from Pjazzy below I found a video of the actual performance of The Doors on the Ed Sullivan Show where they DIDN'T change the lyrics to Light My Fire.
The Doors are on this video twice - once singing People Are Strange right at the first and then later singing the infamously unchanged Light My Fire.

BTW, you'll also see The Beach Boys and a few other gems of celebrity appearances on this video! Enjoy!

THE DOORS perform People are Strange & Light My Fire on Ed Sullivan


-------------------
Check out MY LATEST ART PROJECTS at my ART BLOG

-------------------

Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook

One Click Shopping at The PopArtDiva Gift Gallery:

7 comments:

  1. Boy do I remember Jim Morrison and Light My Fire. And, I agree, he lit a lot of fires in young girls' hearts. The combination of sensitive, sexy, and rock band front man was a potent combination for sure.
    A lot did happen in '69 but the number that comes up for me is 27. So many of the bad boys and girls of rock 'n' roll died at the age of 27... must have been something in all that weed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly a classic. I do not know anyone who does not like this song. I remember when he sung it on Ed Sullivan and he was told by Ed to change the line "girl we couldn't get much higher". He agreed, but when he sang the song live he performed the song intact with emphasis on the HIGHER. Needless to say, he was banned from the show forever :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eileen - I've never noticed or heard about the number 27, interesting! I'll have to do some research and see what comes up!

    Pjazzy - Oh yeah, the Ed Sullivan episode, lol. Ed Sullivan asked every one of our generation's rock singers to change lyrics, lol - remember The Stones "Let's spend the night together" had to be changed to "let's spend some TIME together"

    I just found a site with a lot of the old Ed Sullivan shows archived and you can watch "best of" parts - I'll post links or embed the videos here as I go through them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diva, Thanks! Very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved bad boys with baby faces for way too long in my life! To this day, I think Jim Morrison has one of the most perfect faces I have ever seen.

    I'd be very interested in the link to that Ed Sullivan site. Speaking of faces, Jim sure was a rebel and really rubbed it in Ed's over "Light My Fire." But that's what the '60s and '70s were about in great part, saying (expletive deleted) to the establishment. I like to think that this era brought balance to the '50s conservatism, ultimately in a good way, even if it wasn't as pretty as Jim Morrison's face when a lot of it was happening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!

    Congratulations! Your readers have submitted and voted for your blog at The Daily Reviewer. We compiled an exclusive list of the Top 100 pop culture Blogs, and we are glad to let you know that your blog was included! You can see it at http://thedailyreviewer.com/top/pop-culture/2

    You can claim your Top 100 Blogs Award here : http://thedailyreviewer.com/pages/badges/pop-culture

    P.S. This is a one-time notice to let you know your blog was included in one of our Top 100 Blog categories. You might get notices if you are listed in two or more categories.

    P.P.S. If for some reason you want your blog removed from our list, just send an email to angelina@thedailyreviewer.com with the subject line "REMOVE" and the link to your blog in the body of the message.

    Cheers!

    Angelina Mizaki
    Selection Committee President
    The Daily Reviewer
    http://thedailyreviewer.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce - the link to the Ed Sullivan show is right there in the text, just click the text that says "Ed Sullivan ....."

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments on my art and posts and welcome your honest opinions and thoughts! HOWEVER, please remember this is my "house" and I don't like impolite, mean or rowdy guests - spam and/or comments that include swear words, promote hate or are just negative to be negative will be immediately sent to the trash bin!

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...