20090709

I THINK I'M A CAT OWNER NOW - CRAP! Thursday 13 Dilemma

MOKIME & MOKI

"KITTY"

Growing up as a young child we had one dog, a daschund named Rinty, short for Rin Tin Tin. (Hey! I didn't name her, my brother Butthead did!) Later in my teenage years I got a kitty and named her Moki, a wonderful little black and white kitty who had a fondness for getting into places she didn't belong - like the mailbox!

In the intervening decades I've had a few other cats as pets, though I am primarily a dog person. I find cats somewhat less affectionate on the whole and much more independent. You can't train a cat quite like you can train a dog either though I must admit I never really tried!

Yesterday morning I found a teeny little gray and white kitten on my doorstep. It was very young, probably just weened or not quite, it was a little dehydrated and a bit skinny. Not a feral cat as I could easily pick it up and hold it, I believe it was either dumped out or escaped just recently.

It gets quite hot here in the afternoons, we have quite a bit of traffic and I couldn't let the kitten stay loose outside, but I was concerned to have it around my beloved Yorkipoo Pixel in case it could make her sick. Fortunately my cousin happened to be here at the time and she works for a vet so she checked her over and said she looked healthy enough and mite/flea free. She also (thank you, Rhonda!) informed me that cats and dogs do not transfer diseases.

So - dammit it all - I took it inside. Pixel uses a litter box so I was able to make it a little "poopy box" and I put out some of Pixel's food and water for it. Rhonda also told me cats can eat dog food but dogs shouldn't eat cat food so I had a temporary food fix. That cat immediately ate at least a half cup of food - it looked like it had swallowed a small ball!

I'm putting up a lost cat sign but I don't hold out any great hope that someone will claim "it". I say "it" because it's so young I'm not even sure if it's male or female! I also am not capable of taking it to the Humane Society because I'm sure it will be put down. I certainly can't throw it back out into the street, so I am now probably a cat owner. Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap.

I'm still not committed. Obviously. I haven't given It a name yet and I am putting up those signs, but there are reasons I contemplate keeping Kitty - there are also reasons I don't want to:

Thirteen Reasons to Keep or Not Keep Kitty
  1. PRO - God made kittens really, really cute to sucker you in. This cat is really adorable and beautifully marked. It's a lovely grey and white tabby with huge gray eyes. Crap.
  2. CON - Cats shed. I hate pet hair all over the place. Yorkipoos have hair, not fur and they don't shed!
  3. PRO - Pixel has "mommy" issues. Twice a year she goes through a whole fake baby phase, carrying around her hot dog toy and treating it like a baby. Pixel wants babies. Pixel immediately adopted this cat and has been hovering over it like an over-protective bear with a cub. Crap.
  4. PRO - This morning they have been playing together, it's cute as hell. This cat would be wonderful company and a great play companion for Pixel. Crap.
  5. CON - I don't need another animal to feed and take care of.
  6. CON - The cat farted all night long - really big stinky farts for such a little thing. Of course, that could be the result of eating dog food, not cat food. But, man, if it's just prone to fartiness imagine what they could be like as it grows!
  7. PRO - It cuddled with me all night and purred. It loves me. Crap.
  8. CON - It's another creature to worry about if I want to take a road trip or go somewhere.
  9. PRO - It's company for Pixel if I want to take a road trip or go somewhere.
  10. CON - I'll have to get It fixed.
  11. CON - If I keep it I'll have to come up with a name other than Kitty or It.
  12. CON - Do I have enough love to go around and will Pixel get jealous?
  13. PRO - The little bugger is really cute. Crap!
I had no plans to get another pet but I think the Universe had other plans. CRAP!!!!

One Click Shopping at The PopArtDiva Gift Gallery:

17 comments:

  1. Oh quit "crap"ing and give in. You know you want to. This from the woman who will most likely end up with three kitten next time I break down despite my developing allergies.

    LOL, it looks like Moki arrived in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice - I kinda do want to keep It. But then I kinda don't. Crap.

    LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious and heartwarming! Of course, if wanted, my godmom contract can be extended to include the little bugger. After all, I've been more a cat than a dog mom for the past 40 years. The farting is definitely the dog food. I've never had a farting cat, but I did have a dog that could peel paint off the walls with his "aromatherapy." We still loved him but avoided being downwind. This is really a funny post describing the dilemma most of us feel when a new pet adopts us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless you for caring for "Kitty". You could call it "Cat" like Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's. I enjoyed your list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce - you asked for it, you are officially now the Godmother to Pixel and the Great Godmother to IT - still haven't named it in case some one actually claims it, which I doubt.

    Mitcheypoo - it might end up being called IT or Kitty (like Brenda did her cat on The Closer) but I usually like to give my pets fun and unusual names....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping in From Thursday 13. Love your 13. And the kitten is adorable! I think your pros outweigh your cons. But that's how I ended up with two cats!

    http://tarotmom.blogspot.com/2009/07/thursdays-thirteen-judgement.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the other way around! Cats are pure out and out carnivores and should NEVER EAT DOG FOOD. They can get ill eating dog food very quickly.

    From a vet site: Cats are obligate (strict) carnivores and are very different from dogs in their nutritional needs. What does it mean to be an ‘obligate carnivore’? It means that your cat was built by Mother Nature to get her nutritional needs met by the consumption of a large amount of animal-based proteins (meat) and derives much less nutritional support from plant-based proteins (grains). It means that cats lack specific metabolic (enzymatic) pathways and cannot utilize plant proteins as efficiently as animal proteins.

    Simply put: Cease and desist on feeding KITTY PIXELATOR'S FOOD. If you must feed her scraps of meat until you can get cat food, (look for canned kitten food, kibble is bad for kittens ), that kitten is very young, I mean taken away from Mommy way too early. She's so cute, I bet she thinks Pixel is her new Mama!

    Aren't I a bundle of laughs? I just hate to think of such a cute little creature's insides rumbling with all that cereal that she can't process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth - well, she's on cat food now, I got some from a neighbor and my cousin brought some over too.

    I probably should have cooked chicken or something but...she seems to have survived albeit with a little kitty gas, which harmed me more than her I think!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOU had no plans to get another cat but clearly "It" had plans to get you. Crap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deb - I think you're right. Of course, I'm not happy right now as I found 2 fleas on IT. I ran right in and gave IT a bath and IT is mightily p.o'd at me now!

    tomorrow I get flea stuff for IT and Pixel and I've already sprinkled their food with garlic powder.

    I hate fleas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool list! I hear ya. Every time I say I'm not getting another pet for the reasons you list. I end up getting one anyway.

    Good luck. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Right now Kitty is tearing around the house like a demented tiger on uppers AND it has discovered it has sharp little claws - I'm rethinking this whole thing.

    And it begs! Every time I sit down to eat it meows at me. Pixel needs to train this kitten better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 'CON - It's another creature to worry about if I want to take a road trip or go somewhere.

    PRO - It's company for Pixel if I want to take a road trip or go somewhere.' - LOL!!

    Personally, I think it's an awfully cute cat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That kitten is far too cute NOT to keep. Honestly, how could you stand giving away something with that face?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would not publicly list the bad habits of my pair. Still, we love them like crazy ... and don't forget, they are great writing material, nasty little claws and obnoxious habits aside ... and distractions from bad news reports! Bogey got his name from the golf term "one over par." We already had 2 cats. Tim didn't want to take him in, but he finally couldn't resist. Ten years later, he's a big 15# wah-baby and a big daddy's boy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Julia - yeah, it's cute and I think it will be a beautiful cat. I love it's coloring all the grey with white and the grey eyes - it's got little white socks.

    Tobias - I could stand it if I knew it was going to a good home - but no one has laid claim to it yet.

    Joyce - I know you want me to keep this cat and I fully expect it's great godmother to furnish sufficient catnip toys!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I hope you keep this kitten. Your dog will really enjoy the company. As far as the bad this, this will improve with a better diet and time, We rescued 5 kittens, over the course of 7 years. The ones had terrible gas. They were abandoned and ran wild for at least 2 months. We had to use a trap to catch them. God knows what horrible things they had to eat to survive (they didn't know how to hunt yet). The gas went away after about 2 months with a stable cat healthy diet. Hope you and your whole family are well!








































































































































































































































































































    Oh I hope you adopted this kitten...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments on my art and posts and welcome your honest opinions and thoughts! HOWEVER, please remember this is my "house" and I don't like impolite, mean or rowdy guests - spam and/or comments that include swear words, promote hate or are just negative to be negative will be immediately sent to the trash bin!