20090501

REUNION NOSTALGIA - Music That Rocked You Back When


This week's Old School Friday Theme is Family Reunions. Unfortunately I have never been to a family reunion! But, I can put a twist on this too (Ms Marva, did you expect anything different from me?)

This is also the time of year that school reunions start popping up. So, forgive me for twisting this theme so hard it squeeked but I had no choice! And besides my long time friends from high school are my family now. In fact, this year I'll be attending my 40th High School Reunion - or avoiding it, I haven't decided which yet, lol.

BTW, this is also the 40th Anniversary of the original Woodstock Festival which I attended so that's kind of a family reunion for me too!

And what other music could I choose for this topic but our favorite cruisin' music - the songs we blasted from our cars as we cruised our favorite hang-outs way back in the day? Why, none other than these classics from the Class of '69 and the original Woodstock - these are just a few of the songs that would have been played at any family reunion that I hosted:

CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL (CCR!) and GREEN RIVER:


THE DOORS - LIGHT MY FIRE


JIMI HENDRIX - PURPLE HAZE live from the stage at WOODSTOCK:


THE BEATLES - YELLOW SUBMARINE


JANIS JOPLIN - PIECE OF MY HEART from WOODSTOCK, 1969:


and - LIKE JOE COCKER - I get by WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS:


-----------------------
LOOKING FOR THE SATURDAY SOAPBOX? Check the latest Saturday Posting!

Unless otherwise noted, all images and art on this site are © PopArtDiva.com 2002 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.

Get my Retro Inspired Pop Culture Art on Cool Stuff like Cups, Tees, Cards, Aprons and more at the POP ART DIVA BOUTIQUE!

12 comments:

  1. Umm hmm someone went all out on this one. :) I can definitely get with The Doors, Hendrix and Janice, sounds like a party to me. ;-)

    Happy OSF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janis Joplin! Hendrix! I'd like to be a fly on the wall at your reunion. Happy OSF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one ride I would enjoy, I wish I could have experienced Woodstock. I just saw a video, and Woodstock had so many people there. I was amazed at how many North-Westerners came to see Obama, but that pails in comparison with Woodstock. Every song you chose is a classic, my favorite is the Doors. I discovered them late in life, when I watched a movie about Jim Morrison, and from that one moment I was hooked. I had to find everything The Doors.

    I grew up on Jimi, and Beatles are one of my favorite all time groups. I didn't realize how many hits they had until I saw Across the Universe. Songs I didn't even know were the Beatles.

    Great Post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HeyShae - it was a party in '69 and it will always be THE party, lol

    Verite - I swat flies - come as you are, please - LOL

    MrsGrapevine - Honestly, Woodstock was a mudhole with no food or potties for civilized folk - but it's a great conversation starter. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always put an interesting twist on the theme. CCR is the bomb.

    Happy OSF, Diva

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really picked some goodies here girl! CCR - WOW. I always get quite nostalgic when I visit your OSF, great memories of my Dad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I would not expect anything different at all!

    I love these choices! Anything with Janis Joplin, Hendrix, and CCR is alright with me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOw, you really liked this weeks theme!..I LOVE IT!!

    YOU GOT ME GROOVING while I am typing..wonderful choices..

    Onelove..iriegal

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Girlfriend! You hit home with me! A family is what you make it, I have been to many a family reunion, but never felt as comfortable or at home with those other than my closest and dearest friends. Great venture down memory lane and happy OSF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HagarsD - I always seem to have to tweak the theme a bit, lol. This week I had to think of other types of reunions since I've never been to a family reunion, lol.

    soularodisiac - CCR was probably the best cruisin' music ever - that and the long version of Light My Fire. My girlfriend and I had a whole route set up for the long version of LIght My Fire, lol.

    Marvalus - different? c'est mois? Non! Yup they were classics.

    iriegal - Glad you got your groove on!

    Pjazzy - for me family is what I make it now - my friends didn't beat me up as a kid either like my siblings, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't go back to my HS near Chicago for a multi-class reunion last weekend, celebrating a major anniversary of our school. This is the next best thing to being there. Thanks, Pop Art!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joyce - If you wanted to go I'm sorry you can't - I sit here right now debating whether or not I want to go to my 40th HS reunion. . .

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments on my art and posts and welcome your honest opinions and thoughts! HOWEVER, please remember this is my "house" and I don't like impolite, mean or rowdy guests - spam and/or comments that include swear words, promote hate or are just negative to be negative will be immediately sent to the trash bin!