20090227

In 1967 The Wind Cried Mary at the Summer of Love - OSF Sophomore Year

Sophomore year? Holy cow, I'm not sure I can remember that far back - let me see. . . .

Oh yeah, I was 15/16 years old, I was madly in love with an "older man" (19) and I was just beginning to move from surfer music to the music of "The Haight" - notably Jefferson Starship, The Grateful Dead - and a few more psychedelic minded groups like Cream, The Doors and Jimi to name a few. I wore long hair which I ironed to get straight, I defied my mother on a daily basis, I got my driver's license (!), I was young, the world was opening up to me and I had no idea what lay ahead of me in the tumultuous years that were to follow.

A few world/music/life events that occurred during my sophomore year (1966/1967) were:
  • Star Trek (the original series) debuted
  • The very first "electric kool-aid acid test" happened at the Fillmore in San Francisco
  • Grace Slick performs live for the first time with Jefferson Airplane
  • The Human Be-In takes place in Golden Gate Park on my birthday, January 14th, which sets the stage for the famous Summer of Love
  • Elvis marries Priscilla
  • The Beatles release Sgt. Pepper which becomes the unofficial "soundtrack" for The Summer of Love.
  • Jim Morrison and The Doors defy CBS censors on The Ed Sullivan Show by singing the word "higher" in the lyrics of Light My Fire, despite having been told not to
  • The musical Hair opens off-Broadway.
  • We are sending men and metal into space, aiming at the moon.
  • And, of course, a war rages on the other side of the world in a jungle called Viet Nam.
The music below is just a small part of the soundtrack of my sophomore year:

Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit

Jimi Hendrix - The Wind Cries Mary

Cream - Strange Brew

Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

The Doors - Light My Fire (Long Version - really, you listen to the short version??)


TURN ON, TUNE IN, DROP OUT and MAKE LOVE NOT WAR.
PEACE.
----------------
This meme was developed by Marvalus View and Mrs. Grapevine
Click here to join in the fun!
----------------

Unless otherwise noted, all images and art on this site are © PopArtDiva.com 2002 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.

Get my Retro Inspired Pop Culture Art on Cool Stuff like Cups, Tees, Cards, Aprons and more at the POP ART DIVA BOUTIQUE!

8 comments:

  1. I know these, but I was 7 then. White Rabbit I think I know more from hearing in movies, but when I was a teen, Jimmi Hendrix posters were still up in record stores in homage. Sgt. Pepper. Do you have the remixed remastered "Love" CD that includes some tunes from Sgt. Pepper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vérité Parlant - All of my Beatles are on - gonna love this - the original LPs, all original releases. I even have some of the releases from England.

    I do have a few CDs which are actually what I play along with MP3s now. Keepin' the vinyl protected!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have a very nice blog here, this is my first time visiting, so i thought i slip that in

    i know, it took me a minute to think back myself, anyway great choices, i like the jimmy hendrix joint

    have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fresh - glad you stopped by and I hope you visit often! I'm glad you enjoyed the Jimi - man was a guitar genius!

    Thanks so much for taking the time to comment too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember all of these. You and I were sophomores at the same time. I also never missed watching Ed Sullivan's show on Sunday evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rev - how cool, we hit the Summer of Love at the same time, same age - over 40 years ago. Holy crap, that's almost half a century!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jimi, the Beetles and the Doors? Now that's just a shame that I missed all that great music. I hope you caught at least one of those artists live in concert.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HeyShae - every last one of them several times, saw Jimi at Woodstock along with Arlo, Joan Baez, Janice, Country Joe and the rest - what a line-up, never before or since.

    Saw the Beatles many times and the Lizard King so many times I could tell when he was drunk/stoned out of his mind within about a minute of his walking on stage, lol.

    Twas a time and music to remember.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments on my art and posts and welcome your honest opinions and thoughts! HOWEVER, please remember this is my "house" and I don't like impolite, mean or rowdy guests - spam and/or comments that include swear words, promote hate or are just negative to be negative will be immediately sent to the trash bin!

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...