20090202

Happy Birthday Tommy Smothers & A Retro Smothers Commercial

Today is Tommy Smothers' birthday and I'm doing a little Birthday Party salute to him. Tommy, born in 1937, is 71 today.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMMY!

Tommy was recently presented with an Oscar for - get this - writing on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour nearly 40 years after cancellation of the controversial show.

For those of you who don't know, Tommy is a great yo yo expert, so good in fact he's known as the YoYo Man and has produced an instructional video. He has also written a special song for his passion. Here's a video of Tommy and Dick performing the YoYo Man Song with The Boston Pops Orchestra conducted by John Williams, 1980s:


Part One of Tommy's YoYo Man Video:

Part Two:

Part Three:

And, For Retro Commercials Monday, the Smo-Bros did a series of commercials for Magnavox in the late 80s - remember this one for Picture in Picture?


Videos Courtesy of YouTube - Photos from Smothers Brothers.com
-------------------
Unless otherwise noted, all images and art on this site are © PopArtDiva.com 2002 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.

Get my Retro Inspired Pop Culture Art on Cool Stuff like Cups, Tees, Cards, Aprons and more at the POP ART DIVA BOUTIQUE!

3 comments:

  1. I remember the Smothers Brothers quite well and the yo yo.... I love how you are so knowledgeable about all the retro things. Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keep bringing back memories of things I'd long forgotten. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by - I'm glad you both enjoyed the Tommy post. So many people don't think about the YoYo Man and I loved that bit!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments on my art and posts and welcome your honest opinions and thoughts! HOWEVER, please remember this is my "house" and I don't like impolite, mean or rowdy guests - spam and/or comments that include swear words, promote hate or are just negative to be negative will be immediately sent to the trash bin!

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...