20080506

THE HINDENBURG DISASTER

Today is the 71st anniversary of the Hindenburg disaster. The most famous and largest dirigible ever built exploded into flames in 1937 in New Jersey upon mooring. There were 36 fatalities including passengers and crew.

The hydrogen-filled blimp was a successor to the Graf Zeppelin which had successfully traversed the world in 1929. Built by Nazi Germany, the Hindenburg was a ligher than air passenger ship designed to accomodate transatlantic travel.

Needless to say LTA travel fell off markedly after May 6, 1937. It must have been a sight to see in those days but I must admit I would have thought twice about boarding what was essentially an explosion waiting to happen!

Image from Wikipedia Commons. As a work of the U.S. federal government, the image is in the public domain.


Other interesting events for May 6th:

1955: Grace Kelly meets Prince Rainier

1959: Raymond Burr wins an Emmy

1992: Marlene Dietrich dies

2 comments:

  1. I think I would have taken a pass on boarding the Hindenburg myself. Seeing the tidbit about Raymond Burr reminds me of when I was a kid and my mother and one of my older brothers would watch reruns of "Perry Mason". When it used to air in reruns regularly, I was either too young to be interested or was off doing other things. This is the type of show that TV Land should be airing instead of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" and the other reality shows that they have added to their lineup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malcolm - my mother was a great fan of Raymond Burr's "Perry Mason" and later, "Ironside" - both in their original runs.
    I never cared for the shows, as a kid or as an adult, but I agree that TVland's programming has deteriorated in the last decade.
    Once upon a time you could catch all the great old tv shows that are classics on TVland and NickAtNight - now you get the rehash of pap from the networks. Too bad, I'd love to see Route 66, 77 Sunset Strip, Bronco,Cheyenne and other old episodes again!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments on my art and posts and welcome your honest opinions and thoughts! HOWEVER, please remember this is my "house" and I don't like impolite, mean or rowdy guests - spam and/or comments that include swear words, promote hate or are just negative to be negative will be immediately sent to the trash bin!

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...