20080405

FLIP FLOPS AREN'T CALLED THONGS ANYMORE?

When I was a kid flip flops were called thongs. You heard me right. You know those little rubber sandals with just a flat sole and a strap that slid between your toes? Thongs!

Telling people I tripped on my thong has brought on some very strange looks. And I often trip on thongs because they slide off my feet if I'm not careful! I have caused myself untold embarrassment from tripping on thongs and because I cannot overcome my childhood habit of calling them thongs!

You see, in those days what people call thongs now were called g-strings! Don't ask me why, they just were! I'm sure there's some truly obscure yet fascinating origin for the words thong and g-string but I don't plan on doing intensive research on the subject. After all, we're talking rubber sandals here.

I do have quite a collection of thongs - ooops, flip flops - these days. Seems they have become all the rage as a fashion accessory. I have fuzzy thongs - darn it, flip flops! - and cute metallic hot pink ones and a pair that looks like they were wrapped in colorful rags. They're comfortable and cool in the heat and easy to get on and off. In fact one of my favorite things to do with thongs - oh man, flip-flops! - when I was a kid was to see how high and far I could kick them off my feet!

If only I could kick the habit of calling them thongs!

FLIP FLOPS AREN'T THONGS? is available as archival prints and giclees on canvas in various sizes at PopArtDiva.com. Copyright 2008 by PopArtDiva.com. All rights reserved. No permission is given to copy, distribute or reproduce without written permission from PopArtDiva.com.

11 comments:

  1. I guess thongs have come a long way from being a strip of leather to a "strip tease" for men. WHATEVER! I still call them flip-flops.

    Definition according to Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

    a strip especially of leather or hide
    2 : a sandal held on the foot by a thong fitting between the toes and connected to a strap across the top or around the sides of the foot
    3 : an article of swimwear or underwear consisting of a narrow strip of material that passes between the thighs and connects with a waistband

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still call them thongs, too. And I'd much rather slip into a pair of thongs on my feet rather than the alternative. Looks pretty uncomfortable to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so funny that you posted this! This very topic has been a source of comedy for my daughter (who's 16) and I for the last year or so. I have had to train myself to say "flip-flops" while we were out shopping because it would crack my daughter up so when I would talk about all the pretty little "thongs", hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bev - yes, thongs are the descendants of the loincloth of primitive man. See everything comes around again, lol.

    Eileen - I cannot imagine wearing something that is literally floss for my toochis!

    Karlyn - I know! At my birthday party lunch all of us were older and we got into a discussion of thongs and the young male waiter was listening intently. I caught him and dragged him into the conversation - he had no idea that we were talking about shoes and not female undergarments! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember back in the day when you could buy thongs for a quarter at the local 5 and 10 cents store. They came in colors, but none of the wild designs they have now. I have a pair that I wear when I get pedicures, but the truth is I can no longer stand to have anything between my toes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello my artistic Diva friend, I love this post, there are so many times I'll say something, later to find out it's now a "naughty" word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. pjazzypar - I too remember getting the thongs at Kresge's (now K-mart) for under a dollar. Those were the days when Kresge's was a five and dime store - they even had a lunch counter!

    Claudia - times, they keep a changin' - but naughty lasts forever, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh! the thong thread. I bet that waiter's eyes were bulging.

    I've called them thongs before too in front of my 14 year old daughter. She could not believe that I could call flip-flops such a thing.

    I'll have to show her the dictionary. She seemed to thing I was making it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heidi - you can also show her this post and all the comments calling them "thongs", lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy calling them thongs, so my daughter and her friends can cringe.

    I prefer thongs in the middle area over thongs on the bottom. I guess it's all a matter of getting used to something between something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thongs can be located? Oh My! LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments on my art and posts and welcome your honest opinions and thoughts! HOWEVER, please remember this is my "house" and I don't like impolite, mean or rowdy guests - spam and/or comments that include swear words, promote hate or are just negative to be negative will be immediately sent to the trash bin!

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...