20090611

The Music of Family - This was my Heart & Soul

This weeks Old School Friday theme is "keep it in the family" and the first song that came into my mind was one that every one of us kids - my older sister, Patti, my older brother, Butthead and myself - learned as our first song on the piano. Even without piano lessons some kids could play this song, along with Chopsticks.

My Mom gave us all piano lessons - I took piano for eight years and it helped me with the flute and the guitar when I decided to learn those instruments. When Mom was in her late 70s, a year or so after her stroke, it finally dawned on me that she had probably always wanted to play herself so I hired a piano teacher to come to the house and give her lessons. One of the first things she played all the way through was "Heart and Soul".


I found this fun version of Heart and Soul played and sung by HUGH LAURIE and Geena Davis from Stuart Little.


How funny, I hadn't thought of either of these songs until I read this theme and now I can't get Heart and Soul out of my head. But I did manage to find a great Hoagy Carmichael version that should make it much easier for me to have this drumming through my head for the rest of the day. And I kind of wish I still had Mom's piano too.




Enjoy One Click Shopping at
The PopArtDiva Gift Gallery: