20080806

Thursday Thirteen - 13 Canceled Television Shows I Miss


Thirteen Canceled Television Shows I Wish Were Still On:

1. The West Wing - This was the White House I wish we had.

2, The Sonny and Cher Show - I watched just to see what Bob Mackie outfit Cher would be wearing.

3. The Smothers Brothers Show - Edgy, political, irreverent and subtle. Very sophisticated and funny even if you didn't get the inside jokes and the daggers of political jabs. The SmoBros were the best - my favorite, The Yo-Yo Man. Mom always like you best! www.smothersbrothers.com

4. Moonlight - This was the hottest vampire I've ever laid eyes on! Crap, canceled after a few shows. Where am I going to get my hot vampire, Mick St. John fix now????

5. Dynasty - An hour of guilty wallowing in the soap opera land of the super rich, super bitchy and super should pads!

6. M.A.S.H. - How could you not love a show that had it's main character, Hawkeye, distilling gin for martinis in a Mobile Army Surgical Hospital - this is how you make Suicide Painless! (The theme song, in case you didn't know, is "Suicide Is Painless")

7. Taxi - Danny DeVito made this show a must see for me - God, how I loved Louie DePalma.

8. W.K.R.P. in Cincinnati - What a cast of characters - the only one who bugged me was Gary Sandy's Andy Travis and those tight bell bottoms he always wore. I guess it was supposed to be sexy, but it always looked tacky to me. Do you remember this line, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." God what a bunch of funny goofs!

9. Monty Python's Flying Circus - With John Cleese and Eric Idle, my two favorites on the show. This was and still is an original of originals! Here's a little sample in case you're too young to have seen it:



10. Sledge Hammer - The silliest, stupidest half hour of television that I watched faithfully week after week "Trust me, I know what I'm doing". This one tickled me and I still do not know why. Maybe it was the theme song?



11. Absolutely Fabulous - Edina and Patsy, sigh.

12. Brooklyn Bridge - This was a wonderful family show set in the 50s by Gary David Goldberg, who also produced Family Ties. Semi-autobiographical for Goldberg, This show made me think of home - and I did not grow up in Brooklyn, I grew up in Kansas, but the sets made me think of home. Plus the theme song was wonderful, performed by Art Garfunkel (Simon and Garfunkel) it was beautiful.

13. AND FINALLY, LAST BUT NOT LEAST STAR TREK! I want my Spock, Captain Kirk, Scotty, Sulu, Uhuru and Chekov!

SPACE THE FINAL FRONTIER. THESE ARE THE VOYAGES OF THE STARSHIP ENTERPRISE, HER FIVE-YEAR MISSION TO EXPLORE STRANGE NEW WORLDS, TO SEEK OUT NEW LIFE AND NEW CIVILIZATION, TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE.

Here's some outtakes - sure, we've all seen them before, but I swear to God, you'll still laugh:




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


Get my Retro Inspired Pop Culture Art on Cool Stuff like Cups, Tees, Cards, Aprons and more at the POP ART DIVA BOUTIQUE!