20080325

FIFTIES POP STARS? - Television star to pop star - not a new idea

With all the hub-bub about Hannah Montana/Mylie Cyrus I got to thinking about how many TV stars had made a record at one time or another. Turning a television star into a pop singer is not a new phenomenon. There was a whole bunch of actors from the 50s and 60s who took their turns cutting a 45 or even an album. There's a long list but a few stand out in my mind because - nerd that I was - I had these particular 45s:
  • Shelley Fabares, Mary on The Donna Reed Show - Johnny Angel
  • Paul Peterson, Jeff on The Donna Reed Show - She Can't Find Her Keys. (He also sang "My Dad" on the show, but I don't think it was ever made into a single.)
  • Johnny Crawford, Mark on The Rifleman - Cindy's Birthday
  • Richard Chamberlain singing "Three Stars", the theme song from Dr. Kildare.
  • Annette Funicello, Annette from The Mickey Mouse Club - Tall Paul
Just for a giggle and a little musical nostalgia, brought on by my earlier posts about Ricky Nelson, here's a few videos that you might enjoy:

6 comments:

  1. It's funny that you wrote this post because my T13 for this week is somewhat similar.

    "Johnny Angel" is one of those songs that when I hear it, I change the station, take my headphones off, etc. I don't know what it is about that song, lol. The thing of it is, I have never heard any other songs by Shelley and I wish I could for comparison.

    "My Dad" was Paul Peterson's other top 40 single besides "She Can't Find Her Keys". I vaguely remember when he sang on "The Donna Reed Show".

    I really like the music of Annette Funicello. Besides "Tall Paul", I also enjoy "First Name Initial", "Pineapple Princess", and "Train of Love". If you would like copies of those songs, let me know and I can send them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malcolm - I know what you mean - there are a few songs that do that to me! I always thought that the intro to that song was a little flat - just off key a bit - maybe that's what bugged you aside from the truly "sweet" lyrics, lol.
    Thanks for the info on Paul Peterson's "My Dad", I did not know that it was released as a recording!
    Annette Funicello is a talented woman and I hope she is doing well with her M.S. It would be lovely to see her again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember most of the songs you mentioned. I even have Shelley Fabares' "Johnny Angel" on an album entitled "Super Girl". Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pjazzypar - You're so welcome! It's kind of fun to take a little musical trip down Memory Lane sometimes, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard Chamberlain is still singing. A few months ago I saw him in a touring company of Spamalot playing King Arthur. He was great! Very funny and still has handsome as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlotte - Richard Chamberlain was my 2nd crush (my first was Gardner McKay from Adventures in Paradise). I've seen him in everything I could find him in - Now, I shall have to look to see where he's playing in Spamalot and I'm hoping it's in the LA area!

    Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments on my art and posts and welcome your honest opinions and thoughts! HOWEVER, please remember this is my "house" and I don't like impolite, mean or rowdy guests - spam and/or comments that include swear words, promote hate or are just negative to be negative will be immediately sent to the trash bin!

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...