20080220

Retro Jingles, Slogans, TV Themes and Catchphrases - Do you remember any of these?


TV's Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 is my artistic tribute to the television of my childhood. This image is not for sale, it is a dedication to all the great baby boomer TV classics. Visit this dedication page for some fun trivia and sound bytes from the golden age of tv!

While working away yesterday I realized I was humming a tune that was stuck in my head. When I realized what it was I cracked up. I was humming the Oscar Mayer song! You know the one, "My bologna has a first name it's O-S-C-A-R....."

For some reason my mind has retained many of the old jingles and slogans from my childhood of television viewing. My mother was constantly saying, "Don't sit so close to that TV! You'll go blind from radiation!"

I didn't go blind but it must have affected some of the synapses that control trivia retention. I can't remember where I put my keys, but I can sing the entire Gilligan's Island theme (Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip that started from this tropic port aboard this tiny ship . . . .) plus a couple of hundred more TV themes and commercial jingles!

Let's see how many of these you remember - can you fill in the blanks???
  1. Brylcreem - " a little dab ___ ___ ___."
  2. Wonder Bread - "it builds strong bodies ___ ___"
  3. Oscar Mayer - "My bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R. My bologna has a second name it's __-__-__-__-__." (Remember the rest?)
  4. You'll wonder where the yellow went when you ___ ___ ___ ___ ___.
  5. Superman - "Fighting a never ending battle for Truth, Justice and ___ ___ ___."
  6. Hey Kids! What Time is it? ___ ___ ___ ___!
  7. M&Ms - "They melt in your mouth, ___ ___ ___ ___."
  8. McDonalds - "You deserve ___ ___ ___."
  9. Coke - "I'd like to teach ___ ___ ___ ___." (I'll bet we all know that one!)
  10. Pepsi - "It's the __ __."
  11. Dr. Pepper - "I'm a Pepper, He's a Pepper, ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___?"
  12. Alka Seltzer - "I can't believe I ___ ___ ___ ___."
  13. Alka Seltzer - "Mama mia, that's a spicy ___!"
  14. Alka Seltzer - "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___."
  15. "(N-_-_-_-_-_-S) makes the very best (_________)!"
  16. Timex - "It takes a ___ ___ ___ ___ ___"
  17. Maxwell House - "Good to the ___ ___."
  18. "See the U.S.A. in your ______."
  19. Hamm's Beer - "From the land of ___ ___ ___ "
  20. "There's something about an ___ ___ man." (hint: this is an ad for after shave)
  21. "Promise her anything, but give her ___." (hint: this is a perfume ad)

As Jimmy Durante used to say "I got a million of 'em", but let's see what you can come up with! Come on, what jingle do you secretly hum when no one's listening? What slogans do you remember? Let's all take a little trip down the Memory Lane of Retro Television themes and media jingles and ads. Okay, sing it with me now:

"Hot dogs, Armour hot dogs.
What kind of kids eat Armour hot dogs?
Big kids, little kids, kids who climb on rocks
Fat kids, skinny kids, even kids with chicken pox
Love hot dogs,
Armour hot dogs,
The dogs kids love to bite!"



Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:38 PM

    Brylcreem - "Will do ya

    Wonder Bread 12 ways

    Oscar Mayer - M A Y E R

    You'll wonder where the yellow went when you got me on this one

    Superman The American Way

    Hey Kids! Its howdy doody time

    M&Ms - not in your hands

    McDonalds - A break today

    Coke - "I'd like to teach the world to sing

    Pepsi - the

    Dr. Pepper - she is a pepper, wouldnt you like to be a pepper too

    Alka Seltzer - I ate the whole thing

    Alka Seltzer - "Mama mia, that's a spicy MEATBALL

    Alka Seltzer - "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, OH WHAT A RELIEF IT IS

    "(N E S T L E S) makes the very best CHOCOLATE

    Timex - "It takes a BEATING AND KEEPS ON TICKING

    Maxwell House - LAST DROP

    "See the U.S.A. in your CHEVROLET


    Hamm's Beer - "From the land of CLEAR BLUE WATERS

    "There's something about an AQUA VELVA

    "Promise her anything, but give her ESTA LAUDER


    LOL. . Only got me on one. . maybe two. . (I was born in 59 and graduated in '77.

    The other day, I made a comment to some of my coworkers (Nurses) "when your out of Schlitz, your out of ____"

    Only one coworker knew the answer, everyone else looked at me like I was from detroit!

    Kindest,
    Wesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you probably know, I love quizzes like this one.

    1.‘ll do ya
    2. and minds?
    3. M-A-Y-E-R. I love to eat it everyday and if you ask me why I’ll say… that Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A… How’s that?
    4. brush your teeth with Pepsodent?
    5. the American way
    6. It’s Howdy Doody time
    7. not in your hands
    8. a break today
    9. the world to sing
    10. real thing? I believe that was the motto for Coke, but I can’t come up with anything else.
    11. wouldn’t you like to be a Pepper too?
    12. ate the whole thing
    13. meatball
    14. oh what a relief it is
    15. Nestles, cocoa?
    16. licking and keeps on ticking
    17. last drop
    18. Chevrolet
    19. great American beers?
    20. Aqua Velva
    21. Anjoli?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malcolm - you got most of them - I posted the answers to this retro commerical/jingles quiz just yesterday.
    And I screwed up and put "real thing" for #10 too - when the answer is The Pepsi Generation!!!!! So I had to go back and edit the post!!!!!
    I'm so ashamed - and me a died in the wool Pepsi drinker, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!!

    I congrat you for this great blog!

    I have been looking the link to download the jingles and the audio tracks you mention here and it's been imposible.

    do you know any rapidshare or similar link to those kind of files?

    Thanks a lot

    ÁLvaro

    p.-d: could you answer me herE?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alvaro - Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

    Unfortunately, it's harder and harder to find the sound files for these old jingles and commercials online.

    Some years ago I found a lot of them just by Googling "retro commercials" and "retro jingles" "retro tv themes", but I haven't looked lately since many sites took them off because of intellectual property issues.

    I find a lot at YouTube and other retro television sites where you can listen but not download them.

    If you find some let me know!

    Good Googling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very colorful and refreshing post. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jingle - thanks for stopping by! I checked out your website and had a wonderful time as you made your pitch to sell me jingles!!!

    If I ever need a jingle I'm calling 'youse guys' - anyone who makes me laugh while they're trying to sell me something gets my business!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments on my art and posts and welcome your honest opinions and thoughts! HOWEVER, please remember this is my "house" and I don't like impolite, mean or rowdy guests - spam and/or comments that include swear words, promote hate or are just negative to be negative will be immediately sent to the trash bin!