TV's Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 is my artistic tribute to the television of my childhood. This image is not for sale, it is a dedication to all the great baby boomer TV classics. Visit this dedication page for some fun trivia and sound bytes from the golden age of tv!
While working away yesterday I realized I was humming a tune that was stuck in my head. When I realized what it was I cracked up. I was humming the Oscar Mayer song! You know the one, "My bologna has a first name it's O-S-C-A-R....."
For some reason my mind has retained many of the old jingles and slogans from my childhood of television viewing. My mother was constantly saying, "Don't sit so close to that TV! You'll go blind from radiation!"
I didn't go blind but it must have affected some of the synapses that control trivia retention. I can't remember where I put my keys, but I can sing the entire Gilligan's Island theme (Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip that started from this tropic port aboard this tiny ship . . . .) plus a couple of hundred more TV themes and commercial jingles!
Let's see how many of these you remember - can you fill in the blanks???
- Brylcreem - " a little dab ___ ___ ___."
- Wonder Bread - "it builds strong bodies ___ ___"
- Oscar Mayer - "My bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R. My bologna has a second name it's __-__-__-__-__." (Remember the rest?)
- You'll wonder where the yellow went when you ___ ___ ___ ___ ___.
- Superman - "Fighting a never ending battle for Truth, Justice and ___ ___ ___."
- Hey Kids! What Time is it? ___ ___ ___ ___!
- M&Ms - "They melt in your mouth, ___ ___ ___ ___."
- McDonalds - "You deserve ___ ___ ___."
- Coke - "I'd like to teach ___ ___ ___ ___." (I'll bet we all know that one!)
- Pepsi - "It's the __ __."
- Dr. Pepper - "I'm a Pepper, He's a Pepper, ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___?"
- Alka Seltzer - "I can't believe I ___ ___ ___ ___."
- Alka Seltzer - "Mama mia, that's a spicy ___!"
- Alka Seltzer - "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___."
- "(N-_-_-_-_-_-S) makes the very best (_________)!"
- Timex - "It takes a ___ ___ ___ ___ ___"
- Maxwell House - "Good to the ___ ___."
- "See the U.S.A. in your ______."
- Hamm's Beer - "From the land of ___ ___ ___ "
- "There's something about an ___ ___ man." (hint: this is an ad for after shave)
- "Promise her anything, but give her ___." (hint: this is a perfume ad)
As Jimmy Durante used to say "I got a million of 'em", but let's see what you can come up with! Come on, what jingle do you secretly hum when no one's listening? What slogans do you remember? Let's all take a little trip down the Memory Lane of Retro Television themes and media jingles and ads. Okay, sing it with me now:
"Hot dogs, Armour hot dogs.
What kind of kids eat Armour hot dogs?
Big kids, little kids, kids who climb on rocks
Fat kids, skinny kids, even kids with chicken pox
Love hot dogs,
Armour hot dogs,